Participating in NaNoWriMo this month has shown me I have a range of reactions to a novel in progress. First draft composition is among my favorite parts of the writing process, especially when it’s going well. Oftentimes, of course, the going is not so smooth. So here are the range of intensity of freakouts (or lack thereof) when things aren’t flowing or I realize what I’m writing is pretty much dog poop…. Feel free to commiserate and/or add your own!
- THE “AT LEAST I GOT SOMETHING WRITTEN TODAY.” Yeah, this scene sucks. Whatever. Better than having no scene at all. So suck it, blank page. I beat you. I BEAT YOU! Much like King Arthur, your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!
- THE “THIS IS SO BAD IT’S HYSTERICAL.” Yep. This scene’s definitely coming out. I’m totally saving it for future reference though, because it’s so bad it could win a prize for failing paragraphs/scenes. Do they have those? I should create those. I’d sweep the ceremony. Also, this scene will make me laugh upon occasion. Hey, maybe I should write a book about how NOT to write and put this scene in it….
- THE ZOMBIE. I’m so tired right now I really can’t find the energy to care how bad this is. Score. Maybe, since I’m not caring, I could benefit by adding a couple more bad paragraphs to what I have already? Good idea? Yes? Coolio! TEA TIME!
- THE “I’M DRAWN TOO THIN.” Who cares if it’s bad? You’ve got so many other things to do! Seriously, don’t worry about it and just get some sentences in there as soon as you can because you HAVE to move on to something else on the to-do list. Seriously, those plane tickets aren’t going to buy themselves, and you need to get that bridesmaid’s dress before the store closes….
- THE “EDITING THIS IS GONNA SUCK BIG TIME.” When it’s not SO bad you’ll have to erase the entire scene later on. But you kind of would prefer that over touching it again.
- THE FREAK OUT. Oh man, this is horrible. This is so horrible. It’s so bad it’s crossing into territory I haven’t ventured into since that first novel I wrote that my friends still make fun of me for. UGH! Time to remember you love that first novel anyway. LOVE THE HORRIBLE FIRST NOVEL, VICTORIA!