How do you write a novel? More than that, how do you write a good novel?
I am SO excited: I am maybe an hour’s worth of work away from finishing a first draft of my Writer’s Handbook “Writing For You: A Novelist’s Guide to the Craft of Fiction.”
The whole reason I’m putting this book together–expanding, rearranging, and adding completely new material to many of my blog posts from the past year–is that a number of my followers told me I should do it.
Since the book in every way was the suggestion of you guys, and I’m writing it for you guys, I’d like to ask: what else would you like to see in a writer’s handbook? My table of contents so far includes:
- INTRODUCTION: Who I am, what I do, and what qualifications I have to be writing this book. Basically, why should you care what advice I have about writing? (Including a brief description of every novel I’ve written and my approach to that novel.)
- PREFACE: Why anyone should do this crazy thing called writing a novel. What are the reasons for writing that will set you up for success?
- CHAPTER ONE: What to know before you write
- CHAPTER TWO: The cardinal rules of writing
- CHAPTER THREE: On outlines
- CHAPTER FOUR: On character development
- CHAPTER FIVE: On first drafts
- CHAPTER SIX: On editing
- CHAPTER SEVEN: On style
- CHAPTER EIGHT: Making and managing time to write
- CHAPTER NINE: On social media marketing
I don’t have a release date yet. That’s forthcoming. While I want to release the book as soon as possible, I’m determined to make sure it’s in a state to be released and ready to be read before I ask people to buy it.
As soon as I know when the book will be ready for release, I’ll make an announcement. For now:
What do you guys think I’m missing? I can’t guarantee, of course, that I’ll be able to throw in everything y’all request, but I definitely need your input. I want this book to be a real help to my fellow writers. I want it to contain the information y’all need. So please let me know.
What do you most want to read about? What do you feel are the blog’s strongest assets, so I can make sure to employ them in the book as well?
I can’t tell you how crazy stoked I am about this project, my first non-fiction release. Thanks, you guys, for all your support and for helping me make it a success.